Cleveland - The $300,000 80th Running of the Ohio Derby is Saturday, July 19th at ThistleDown Racino.
With 12 horses entered in the 1-1/16th mile race, Hall of Fame Jockey Calvin Borel is the early choice on board Almost Famous.
The size and the nobility of the contenders in this year’s Ohio Derby field has increased since last year, including some of the country’s top horses.
The race begins at 4:25pm (ET) but there will be much to do with live music scheduled and the barbeque pit open all day.
Here is the list of contender’s from the inside post out:
(1) Larcenyinmyheart Odds 15/1, Trained by Anthony Rini, Jockey Scott Spieth Loooch Racing Stables sends this one to the track and running in a stakes race for the first time after being claimed in March. Since then, the horse has come back to win four straight. Could be a long shot be here.
(2) Brothersofthetime Odds 8/1 , Trained by Jorge Navarro, Jockey Jose Garcia Had a third place finish in the Swale at Gulfstream in March and won the Seacliff Stakes at Calder Race Course last August.
(3) Bump Start Odds 12/1, Trained by Kellyn Gorder, Jockey D.L. Parker This dark bay colt took a win on June 14th at Penn National in the Danzig S. with a speed rating of 90. Not as impressive as the competition here.
(4) Almost Famous Odds 7/2, Trained by Patrick Byrne, Jockey Calvin Borel Has had a tough year with a fourth place finish in the Holy Bull and could not contend in the Spiral Stakes or the Fountain of Youth after a bad break. Took some time off and shipped to Churchill Downs for an allowance in on May 24th. With distinguished jockey Calvin Borel at the controls he should be right in front.
(5) Harry’s Holiday Odds 8/1, Trained by Michael Maker, Jockey R. D. Allen jr., Raced in the Kentucky Derby finishing a troubling 16th. We Miss Artie caught him by a nose at the finish in the Spiral Stakes at Turfway in March. Since his poor finish in the Kentucky Derby he has been on a layoff. It would be nice if the son of Harlan’s Holiday could make something happen here! Went five furlongs in 1:01 July 5th.
(6) Russellin Odds 10/1, Trained by Chris Hartman, Jockey Ken Tohill Had a fourth place finish in the Iowa Derby, with a second place finish in the Golden Circle Stakes at Prairie Meadows. Was beaten by Jessica’s Star last time out.
(7) Cleburne Odds 12/1, Trainer Dale Romans, Jockey L.A. Gonzalez Won the Iroquois Stakes at Churchill Downs last year and had a third place finish in this year’s Calder Derby.
(8) Avgolemono Odds 20/1, Trainer Anthony Dailey, Jockey Joe Musarro Won his last time out at Thistledown on July 4th in a maiden. Not likely here.
(9) Jessica’s Star Odds 4/1, Trained by Michael Stidham, Jockey David Mello Won this year’s Iowa Derby. Has had six career starts with four wins and has never finished less than second. He has added weight of 8lbs and looks to be stretching out nicely. If he has a good finish here he could point to the Travers Stakes.
(10) Mushu Odds 20/1, Trained by Anthony Rini, Jockey J. Loveberry Rini also trains Larcenyinmyheart (1). Mushu won his last two starts and if he has a decent break will be up with the starting pace.
(11) Saa Mi Odds 15/1, Trained Brendan Walsh, Jockey Jeremy Rose Has been running at Churchill Downs with a second place finish the last time out in an allowance.
(12) East Hall Odds 5/1, Trained by William Kaplan, Jockey Juan Leyva Has pulled the far outside post but should not be a problem for him as he has the experience at running with class competitors. Finished second behind Kentucky Derby contender Wildcat Red last time out.
Iowa Derby winner Jessica's Star and Almost Famous with famed jockey Calvin Borel top the field of 12 3-year-olds competing for this year's Ohio Derby at ThistleDown Racino. With scattered thunderstorms expected throughout the day tomorrow, keep your eyes on East Hall and Jessica's Star who have had decent finishes on sloppy tracks. Post time is scheduled for 4:25pm (ET)