CLEVELAND - The Cleveland Indians have announced the schedule of events for their sold-out April 4 home opener against the Minnesota Twins at Progressive Field.
Gates open at 1 p.m. and pre-game activities include tributes for the 20th anniversary of the field formerly known as “The Jake.”
See the full news release below:
CLEVELAND INDIANS ANNOUNCE FULL SLATE OF 2014 OPENING DAY FESTIVITIES
Pregame videos, ceremonies will mark 20th anniversary of first game at ballpark
Cleveland, OH –The Cleveland Indians again have a packed schedule of pregame festivities leading up to next Monday’s home opener, set for 3:05PM at Progressive Field vs. the Minnesota Twins.
The game, the Tribe’s 21st Home Opener at Progressive Field, marks the 114th as a charter member of the American League, and the 22st consecutive Home Opener sellout dating back to the team’s final year at Cleveland Municipal Stadium. This year’s game sold out in 15 minutes on March 3.
April 4 is the 20th anniversary to the day of the first game at then-Jacobs Field, and this year’s Home Opener theme will celebrate those 20 years. Progressive Field’s gates will open at 1PM, and the team is encouraging fans to be in their seats by 2:30PM to enjoy a bevy of pregame activities, including:
• Video tribute to the first game at then-Jacobs Field, on April 4, 1994 vs. Seattle
• Raising a 20th-anniversary flag, which features eight Postseason pennants
• Recognition of select Season Ticket Holders who have been with the Indians since 1994
• Recognition of the 2013 Postseason team
• Mike Hargrove throwing a ceremonial first pitch to Sandy Alomar Jr.
• Moment of silence for late broadcaster Mike Hegan
The team also will honor all branches of the United States military, as members of the United States Army, Navy, Air Force, Marines and Coast Guard will present the colors, while an oversized American flag will be presented by 250 employees of Progressive Insurance, the Presenting Partner of the Opening Series.
The national anthem will be performed by the Cleveland Orchestra Double String Quartet, some members of which performed the anthem on Opening Day in 1994.
Rally Alley presented by RTA will get things started at Noon from Larry Doby Way. Opening Day Rally Alley will feature:
• Alumni autographs (2-2:30PM)
• Live music
• Street performers
• Live broadcasts from WTAM and SportsTime Ohio
• Budweiser Build-a-Bar will be featuring Day-Fresh Drafts, along with the Hot Corner Bar in Section 175 and the Bud Patio
• Flo’s Rock N’ Rally trailer, presented by Progressive Insurance
• Chevrolet car display
Additionally, concession stands will offer many options for Catholics in attendance who observe Lenten traditions. They include:
• Veggie Dogs: Sections 162 and 541
• Salads: Sections 108, 162, 550
• Nachos: Sections 121, 154, 162, 171, 181, 311, 529, 556 and 558
• Cheese Pizza: Sections 101, 152, 555
• Fish Sandwich: Sections 101, 152, 164, 562