Jerad & Amanda Miller: Las Vegas shooting rampage couple honeymooned in Cincinnati in 2012

CINCINNATI - A husband and wife who went on a deadly shooting rampage in Las Vegas over the weekend celebrated their honeymoon in Cincinnati and Northern Kentucky in 2012.

Authorities said Jerad and Amanda Miller walked into a Cici's Pizza in Las Vegas this past Sunday and shot and killed two officers. They then killed one more person and themselves at a nearby Walmart. 

In a photo album on Amanda’s public Facebook Page titled “The Honeymoon,” the couple is seen exploring the Newport Aquarium, posing in front of Cincinnati’s skyline and sitting in a horse-drawn carriage.

Amanda -- from Lafayette, Ind. -- married Jerad in August 2012, according to a marriage license. The honeymoon photos were posted in late September.

During the honeymoon on Sept. 23, Amanda posted on Facebook: "So today has just been an amazing day. We went to the aquarium, we rode on the Duck in an aquatic vehicle for land and water, and we went for a carriage ride with the carriage looking like a Cinderella one. I'm so happy! Tonight it's dinner and a movie then tomorrow it's a helicopter ride! Woo hoo!"










Police said Jerad, 31, and Amanda, 22, harbored anti-government beliefs and left a swastika and a "Don't tread on me" flag on the body of one of the two police officers they killed in Las Vegas.

The two had been previously kicked off a Nevada ranch where anti-government protesters faced down federal agents earlier this year because they were "very radical," according to the son of rancher Cliven Bundy.

Assistant Sheriff Kevin McMahill said the Millers had ideology shared by "militia and white supremacists," including the belief that law enforcement was the "oppressor."

Police believe the Las Vegas shootings were an isolated act, not part of a broader conspiracy to target law enforcement, McMahill said.

The two police officers were having lunch at a pizza buffet when the Millers fatally shot them. The attack at a CiCi's Pizza killed officers Alyn Beck, 41, and Igor Soldo, 31, both of whom were husbands and fathers.

According to McMahill, this is how Sunday's events unfolded:

The Millers left a neighbor's apartment where they had been staying around 4:30 a.m. and walked for hours, eventually reaching the strip mall, about 5 miles away.

Around 11:20 a.m., Jerad went briefly into the restaurant, then left and got his wife, leaving their backpacks outside.

The two officers were sitting in a booth. Jerad fatally shot Soldo in the back of his head. As his partner tried to react, Miller shot him once in the throat. Amanda then pulled her own gun and both shot Beck several times.

Police believe that while the Millers wanted to target police, the choice of Soldo and Beck was random.

Pulling the mortally wounded officers from the booth, they took their guns and ammunition and put a yellow Gadsden flag featuring the phrase "Don't tread on me" and a swastika on Beck's body. The flag, with its roots in the American Revolution, is a symbol for anti-government groups. Police said they believe the swastika was intended to paint police as Nazis, not necessarily as an expression of the Millers' own white-supremacist views.

The couple also told restaurant patrons that their act was "the beginning of the revolution," the same message as a note they left at the restaurant. That was what the Millers told customers at a Walmart about a block away, where the couple fled. Jerad entered, fired one round and "told the people to get out and this was a revolution and that the police were on the way."

In the frenzy, shopper Joseph Wilcox decided to confront Jerad — not realizing that Amanda was his accomplice. Wilcox went from the checkout area to Amanda and pulled his concealed firearm. But before he could fire, Amanda shot him in the ribs and Wilcox collapsed.

"Joseph died trying to protect others," Sheriff Doug Gillespie said.

By now, police had arrived, and two five-officer teams entered the massive store. Near the back, one team confronted the Millers, and exchanged fire. At one point, Jerad tried to blast a rear emergency exit door open with a shotgun, but police had blocked it with a car and he could not escape.

One officer went with store security to screens showing feeds from surveillance cameras and saw that Jerad had built a makeshift barricade around his wife.

As police closed in, Amanda shot her husband several times with a handgun, killing him. She then shot herself in the head. When officers arrived, she was still breathing, and was taken to the hospital. She later died.

Police found hundreds more rounds of unspent ammunition in the Millers' bags.

The couple moved to the Las Vegas area in January, police said. Amanda had worked at a Hobby Lobby craft store there until she was fired in April, the chain store said in a written statement.

Jerad was convicted of felony vehicle theft in Washington state, and several other offenses, including phone harassment, driving under the influence, theft and malicious mischief, between 2001 and 2003, according to a Washington State Patrol database.

He also had a criminal record in Indiana.

Print this article Back to Top