WASHINGTON - A senior U.S. official says the soldier accused in the killing of 16 Afghan civilians is Army Staff Sgt. Robert Bales.
The official spoke on condition of anonymity because of the sensitivity of the investigation into an incident that has roiled relations with Afghanistan.
ABC News originally reported Bales is a native of Brunswick, Ohio. However, NewsChannel5 is now receiving multiple reports that he could be from another area in Ohio.
Bales now lives in Washington state just miles from the Army base, according to background reports.
American officials had previously said the suspect was a 38-year-old staff sergeant and that he had spent 11 years in the Army. But they had refused to release his name, saying it is military policy to publicly name a suspect only after he has been charged with an offense.
Bales has not yet been charged. He was being flown Friday from Kuwait to a military detention center at Fort Leavenworth, Kan.
Bales does have a criminal records for a hit and run, and criminal assault.