US takes security steps ahead of 9/11 anniversary

WASHINGTON - The White House says President Barack Obama's national security team is taking steps to prevent terrorist attacks related to the 12th anniversary of 9/11 on Wednesday.

Obama discussed preparedness and security with his team Tuesday. The White House isn't disclosing what steps are being taken but says Obama's homeland security and counterterrorism adviser, Lisa Monaco, has been reviewing security measures for the anniversary for months. That includes a recent al-Qaida threat that led to the temporary closing of 19 diplomatic posts last month.

The White House statement also cites the four Americans killed in an attack on a U.S. outpost in Benghazi, Libya, on the 9/11 anniversary last year. White House spokesman Jay Carney says the U.S. is still committed to bringing the perpetrators of those attacks to justice.

Print this article Back to Top

Comments