Poisoned meatballs found in park in Colorado; at least 1 dog treated by veterinarian

GUNBARREL, Colo. (KMGH) - Investigators believe that someone has been leaving poisoned, raw meatballs in a Colorado park for pets to eat.

The poisoned meatballs were found in a park in Gunbarrel, Colo. Tuesday morning.

The raw meatballs initially found Monday night in a neighborhood park located at 5150 Buckingham Road. contained green chunks of rat poison, according to the Boulder County Sheriff's Office. Two more were found on Tuesday, for a total of seven.

Investigators believe the poisoned meatballs were left for pets to consume. The meatballs are slightly smaller than the average car key.

At least one dog, a 6-month-old Golden Retriever puppy named Amos, has already been treated by a local veterinarian. He was kept overnight and is still fatigued.

"It's horrible," said owner Uli Broome, "just absolutely horrible."

If there is any chance that your pet may have consumed poison, it should be taken to a veterinarian immediately, experts warn. It can take two to three days before an animal begins to show symptoms and by then it may be too late to treat.

Symptoms include lethargy, decreased appetite, pale gums, difficulty breathing and unexplained bleeding or bruising, according to Matt Booth of Alpenglow Veterinarian Clinic in Boulder.

Several poisoned meatballs were found and removed Monday. Two more meatballs were found Tuesday.

If anyone has information that would assist in the investigation, we encourage them to call the Boulder County Sheriff’s Office at (303) 441-4444. You may reference case number 14-1915.

 

 

Print this article Back to Top