KANSAS CITY, Mo. - The company laying cable outside JJ's Restaurant last week when an explosion leveled the business did not have an approved Kansas City permit for excavation, our sister station KSHB has learned via an open records request with the city.
Heartland Midwest LLC was laying fiber-optic cable for Time Warner Cable near the restaurant Tuesday night when somebody hit a gas line, sparking a leak in and around the restaurant.
One person died in the explosion and fire. Several others were injured. The exact cause of the explosion has not been confirmed by Kansas City fire investigators.