Former Akron police Captain Douglas Prade returns to Summit County Jail to await appeal

AKRON, Ohio - The former Akron police captain convicted of killing his ex-wife, Margo Prade, in 1997 is back to jail, again. Douglas Prade, 68, was taken to at the Summit County Jail in handcuffs Friday afternoon.

Prade is expected to be in jail for 30 days while the court decides if he will get a new trial. He will be transferred to a state prison if the 9th District Court of Appeals does not rule within that time frame.

Ohio's Supreme Court on Wednesday said it declined to hear Prade's appeal of a court ruling that reinstated his conviction. The court also denied Prade’s motion to extend the stay permitting him to remain out of custody.

As a result, the Summit County prosecutor filed a motion that Prade must return to prison. Judge Christine Croce ordered Prade back to jail on Friday, to await the appeal.

Margo Prade's sister Veronica Sadler was in court Friday, wearing Margo's medical ID badge on her hat. Former Akron Police Chief Ed Irvine was also in attendance. Sadler said she hasn't seen the Prade children since he was released from prison last year.

"They say my sister is resting in peace, but we are not," Sadler said.

The Ninth District Court of Appeals released an opinion on March 19 overturning Judge Judy Hunter’s ruling that Prade was wrongfully convicted. The appellate court has not yet decided whether Judge Hunter’s order for a new trial is valid. The Summit County Prosecutor’s Office has asked the court for permission to appeal the order for a new trial, if that order is valid. If the court finds that the order for a new trial is not valid, then Judge Christine Croce will decide whether to order a new trial.

Prade was released from prison in 2013 after serving 15 years for the murder of his wife after DNA evidence helped him win an appeal.

VIDEO: Douglas Prade released from jail again after re-arrested on charges he murdered his ex-wife

Margo Prade, a 41-year-old Akron doctor, was found shot dead in her minivan outside her office on Nov. 26, 1997. There were no witnesses and no fingerprints, and no gun ever was found.

The Innocence Project, a group that works to free innocent convicts has pledged to clear his name.

Print this article Back to Top