AKRON, Ohio - The mobile app from Metro Parks, Serving Summit County is out early as a free download from iTunes and Google Play.
It was promised by May 1 for both Android and iPhone users.
"Under-promise and over-deliver," spokesman Nate Eppink said. "We're really excited about the app, and our ‘connected' visitors can use it now earlier expected."
The app includes the following features:
- GPS-enabled directions, downloadable maps, restroom locations and more for all 14 of the district's parks and the multipurpose Bike & Hike Trail, Freedom Trail and its sections of the Towpath Trail
- Brief descriptions of 40 trails, with filters based on difficulty and distance
- A comprehensive calendar of programs and events
- Click-to-call phone numbers for rangers, the administrative offices, the visitors center at F.A. Seiberling Nature Realm and seasonal information
- Locations of birding "hot spots," landmarks, fishing areas, sled hills and more
- Information about reservable pavilions and shelters
- Alerts, news, and rules and regulations
To download the app from Google Play, visit: http://bit.ly/MPSSC-App-Android
To download it from iTunes, visit: http://bit.ly/MPSSC-App-iPhone
For more information about the park district, visit summitmetroparks.org or call 330-865-8065.