MASSILLON, Ohio - Kelly Woods is heartbroken and wants to know if a pharmacy mix-up is responsible for killing her 5-year-old American Bulldog named Sky.
Woods, 38, of Massillon, said a Walgreen's Pharmacy in North Canton mistakenly filled a prescription for the dog, giving her potassium chloride instead of potassium bromide.
"We just lost a family member and that is how we looked at her. She was young. She was doing well on her medication and now she's dead," Woods said.
The owner said Sky started having seizures a few months ago, but was doing well adjusting to prescribed seizure medications, including potassium bromide.
"She was coming back Sky again and we were very, very happy."
However, Woods said the dog's health condition changed after she ingested potassium chloride.
Woods said her husband, unaware the family had the wrong medication, gave it to the dog over four days and she became disoriented, vomited and had another seizure.
Woods brought the dog to Countryside Animal Hospital in Massillon. Dr. Harry Tripp said the potassium chloride levels checked out normal and he doesn't believe the drug killed Sky. However, he said the wrong medication could have had a negative impact on the dog and could have caused seizures.
A few days later, Sky's condition worsened and she died at Stark County Veterinary Emergency Clinic.
Woods is convinced the wrong medication caused her pet to deteriorate because Sky had been doing well for four weeks before the mistake occurred.
"She passed away... It it not excusable," she said.
Walgreens issued the following statement in response to the incident:
"We're very sorry this occurred and we apologized to the pet's owner. Cases like this are rare and we take them very seriously. We have a multi-step prescription filling process with numerous safety checks in each step to reduce the chance of human error. We will investigate what happened and what can be done to prevent it from happening again. We also will assist the pet's owner by arranging to pay for the veterinary expenses."
The dog will be taken to Ohio State University for a necropsy, but the results may not be available for several days.
Rangers bust man with DMT—new concern for police
An Akron man is facing a felony drug charge after a Summit County park ranger found the hallucinogenic drug DMT on him.
Bakery made famous by LeBron closing doors
An Akron bakery made famous when LeBron James returned to Cleveland is shutting its doors this weekend, saying they can no longer keep up…
Akron PD: 3 teens arrested for jumping on cars
Police in Akron said they’ve arrested three teenagers for jumping on the hoods of cars.
Arrest made in Canton apt fire
An arrest has been made in a Canton apartment fire that sent nine people to the hospital.
Life w/o parole for Tighe, killed 2 in Tallmadge
A Summit County judge sentenced convicted killer, Daniel Tighe, to life in prison without parole for the deaths of his former girlfriend and…