ALLIANCE, Ohio - A methamphetamine lab is to blame for an explosion at an Alliance apartment building Monday morning.
Alliance police were called to South Union Avenue at about 8:30 a.m. for a report of a strong chemical smell and breaking glass. Police evacuated the building while the Stark County Metro Narcotics Unit cleaned up the meth lab, officers said.
Hours later, detectives tracked down one of the apartment's residents who had burns to his hand and arm. Police said 33-year-old Marvin Adkins was trying to carry the meth lab outside when it sparked and exploded. He also dove through a window to escape from the blast.
Adkins was taken to Alliance Community Hospital and then taken to the Stark County Jail. He was charged with illegal manufacture of drugs, which was a first-degree felony since children were in the building at the time. He also faces charges for possession of chemicals used in the manufacture of meth and possessing drug paraphernalia.
His bond was sent at $100,000 and he will be arraigned on Wednesday in Alliance Municipal Court.
Alliance police are still investigating and more people may be charged.