KENT, Ohio - Medics have been called to the Happy Day School on Brady Lake Road in Franklin Township for several ill patients, the Kent Fire Department said.
Two staff members and six kids were transported to the hospital for illness.
It was reported that around 12 people were sick from chlorine exposure. In the 9-1-1 call, a woman tells dispatchers that the pool pump had been shut off and when it was turned back on, something — the woman believes chlorine, she said — shot out of the pump.
After the pump was turned on, about a dozen people began coughing and vomiting, she told the dispatcher.
Happy Day School provides early intervention, early childhood education and school age special education services. During this incident, a day camp from the YMCA was being held at the school. The camp will continue at the school Wednesday.
NewsChannel5 is sending a crew to the scene and will update this story as details become available.
Listen to the 9-1-1 call below.