Sibling set fire to blanket causing Lorain house fire and 4-year-old's burns, fire officials say

LORAIN, Ohio - The fire that left a 4-year-old boy with severe burns was caused by a cigarette lighter, Lorain fire officials say.

The fire happened in the 1000 block of West 19th Street in Lorain at about 1 a.m. on Saturday. Assistant Fire Chief Roy Cochran said 10 people were inside the house and seven of them were children.

The 4-year-old victim was sleeping under a blanket when a sibling set it on fire with a cigarette lighter, Cochran said. Fire officials discovered the cause by talking to the other children in the house.

The boy left a trail of bloody footprints on the street and the neighbor's porch. Neighbors said the boy wasn't crying as large pieces of skin peeled off his hands and feet.

"I didn't realize the little boy was burned right at first because I was calling 911, but I came back in the house, he was just totally, his skin was completely coming off," Mary Amador said.

The victim was taken to Mercy Medical Center before being flown to MetroHealth Medical Center.

No charges have been filed at this time and there is no further investigation, Cochran said. The house is considered a total loss.

Print this article Back to Top

Comments