Police: Drunken marker-covered man arrested after causing four-vehicle crash in Elyria

ELYRIA, Ohio - The mugshot of a Grafton man -- who police said was driving drunk when he caused a four-vehicle crash over the weekend -- apparently shows what he was up to before he got into his truck.

The crash happened at about 6:50 a.m. Sunday on State Route 57 at the intersection of East Broad Street in Elyria.

The police report said 21-year-old Christopher Gerhart slammed his Ford F-150 pickup truck into a car stopped at a red light at that intersection, which caused the car to hit the one in front of it and a motorcycle beside it.

Officers noted in the report that when they pulled up to the scene Gerhart was wandering around, was very inherent and smelled like an alcoholic beverage. The officer also saw that Gerhart's face had been painted on with a marker and things had been written on his body.

The report said Gerhart later admitted that he was at a party near the college and had passed out – and his friends had apparently drawn all over him with markers.

"Officer could observe that a mustache had been drawn on Gerhart's face and several words had been drawn on his left arm and several on his upper body as well. Gerhart also advised that ‘Nobody would give me a f------g ride home,'" the report stated.

Gerhart failed field sobriety tests and was given a breath test at the police station, which police said revealed he had a blood alcohol content of .189, which is more than double the legal limit of .08.

Gerhart was charged with aggravated vehicular assault while driving drunk. Police said he also he been charged with OVI in Athens County on May 19.

Police said they found a malt liquor bottle in the passenger area of Gerhart's truck, as well as an empty Molson's beer can in a paper bag directly under his tires.

The other drivers involved in the crash suffered injuries. Police said Jeremy Harsa of Lorain had a broken leg and Thomas Martin of Eyria sustained a fractured spine and a cut to his head. Both have been treated and released from the hospital.

Print this article Back to Top