Fire at Mentor Melt Bar and Grilled location to delay opening

Blaze caused by welding mixed with grease

MENTOR, Ohio - The fire last week at the new Melt Bar and Grilled location in Mentor was caused by welding work.

The fire happened Thursday afternoon at the site located in the Points East Shopping Plaza on Mentor Avenue and Route 306.

Mentor fire Lt. Brian Bittner said the fire was the result of welding being done to the exhaust hood system, which ignited grease that was left from the previous restaurant. Flames spread to the roof. There was also smoke damage to the inside of the yet-to-open Melt.

Bittner said the blaze, which was quickly contained by the first crew on scene, caused between $75,000 and $100,000 in damage.

The general contractor on the project told the Mentor Fire Department that the blaze will push back the opening day by 10 days to Nov. 2.

Print this article Back to Top

Comments