CHARDON, Ohio - TJ Lane's trial will be delayed after the judge granted a continuance in a pretrial hearing Monday morning.
The 18-year-old charged in the Chardon High School shooting that left three students dead and others injured faced his final pretrial in Geauga County.
Both sides asked for the delay in the wake of what attorneys called new evidence. The judge said a new trial date will be determined later this month.
Last week, TJ Lane's defense attorney requested, for a second time, that the trial be moved out of Geauga County, but the sealed document wasn't elaborated upon. In August, Lane's defense team asked prematurely for a change of venue because the community was still in mourning, and all the media coverage would make it "impossible" to find an unbiased jury.
Judge David Fuhry wants to wait and see if an unbiased jury can be selected.
The accused gunman stands trial on Jan. 14 for aggravated murder, attempted aggravated murder and felonious assault.
Before the case was sent to adult felony court, Lane was ruled mentally competent to stand trial in juvenile court.
Prosecutors have said Lane admitted taking a .22-caliber pistol and knife to the high school and firing 10 shots at a group of students sitting in the cafeteria on Feb. 27.
Lane faces up to life in prison without the chance of parole if convicted. Lane is not eligible for the death penalty in Ohio because he was under 18 at the time of the crime.
The Associated Press contributed to this story.