The court battle over the Chardon Healing Fund is far from over, but Thursday brought a partial victory for the victims' families.
CLEVELAND - MetroHealth Medical Center confirmed a third student, Demetrius Hewlin, has died following a shooting rampage at Chardon High School that ended with five shot and one under arrest.
His family made the following statement:
"We are very saddened by the loss of our son and others in our Chardon community. Demetrius was a happy young man who loved life and his family and friends. We will miss him very much but we are proud that he will be able to help others through organ donation. We ask that you respect our privacy during this difficult time."
Hewlin was transported to MetroHealth Medical Center Monday morning, along with two other students,16-year-old Daniel Parmertor and 17-year-old Russell King Jr. Parmertor was the first to die Monday. King was confirmed dead by the Cuyahoga County Medical Examiner's Office Tuesday morning.
"The shooting at Chardon High School is a terrible tragedy and our thoughts and prayers go out to the victims and their families as well as the entire community of Chardon," said Gordon Bowen, Lifebanc Chief Executive Officer. "We feel privileged to honor the wishes of both Demetrius Hewlin and his family to give the gift of life during this most tragic time." Lifebanc is working with Metro for the organ, eye and tissue donations.
Two other victims taken to Hillcrest Hospital were a 17-year-old boy, who is in serious condition, and an 18-year-old girl, who is in stable condition, a hospital representative said Monday afternoon.
Police said the gunman who opened up fire in the school early Monday turned himself in after a teacher apparently chased him out of the building. Sources close to the investigation identified the suspect as 17-year-old TJ Lane.
"That shot I saw TJ take as I turned around had hit Russell and he was over the table in like a puddle of blood. Demetrius was on the floor with a puddle of blood next to him," said student Nate Mueller, who was sitting at a table in the cafeteria with three of the victims.
Keep checking newsnet5.com for the latest developments.
Chardon HS Shooting
Football coach Frank Hall, who chased the Chardon High School shooter out of the building, is receiving national attention in a cover story for Sports Illustrated.
A football coach at Chardon High School is featured on the cover of Sports Illustrated for his role in confronting a gunman as his school.
A Geauga County judge ruled Friday that money from the Chardon Healing Fund will remain under court-protected authority until a final decision is made.
Ohio Attorney General Mike DeWine is ready to announce the recommendations of a committee formed to evaluate school safety in the wake of last year's school shootings in Connecticut and in Chardon in northeast Ohio.
The commencement ceremony for Chardon High School's class of 2013 being held Saturday is expected to be an emotional one, especially once Nick Walczak makes his way across the stage.
The families of the three teens killed in the Chardon High School shooting last year are suing the United Way.
Gov. John Kasich plans to deliver the commencement address at a northeast Ohio high school where three students were killed and three others injured in a 2012 shooting spree.
One of the surviving victims of the Chardon High School shooting is suing the admitted gunman.
Five law-enforcement dispatchers in Ohio have been honored for their work during a chaotic school shooting which left three students dead and three wounded.