The court battle over the Chardon Healing Fund is far from over, but Thursday brought a partial victory for the victims' families.
CHARDON, Ohio - The teen arrested in Monday's deadly shooting spree at Chardon High School made his first appearance in juvenile court.
Prosecutor David Joyce said TJ Lane didn't know his victims and chose them randomly. He also said Lane admitted firing 10 shots at Chardon High School.
Geauga County Juvenile Court Judge Timothy Grendell asked Lane if he understood he has the right to remain silent during the proceedings. Lane responded "yes."
Grendell issued a gag order, banning lawyers from both sides from talking to the media about Lane or the case.
With 47 media outlets requesting to cover the case, Grendell cautioned reporters to "be careful about accuracy of facts. The public needs to understand the truths" in this case.
Members of the media were also instructed not to take any facial photos in court of TJ Lane or his family members.
During the 20 minute hearing, Joyce also read a brief recount of Monday's tragedy, describing one victim with a gunshot wound to his neck.
Prosecutors have until March 1 to formally charge Lane with three counts of aggravated murder charges. Grendell set a March 6 hearing in anticipation of the charges being filed.
TJ Lane was escorted out of the courtroom by Geauga County Sheriff's deputies and taken back to the detention center.
"TJ Lane will remain in detention during the proceedings due to the serious nature of the allegations and charges," said Grendell. He also said it's to protect Lane and the community.
A hearing will be held Feb. 29 at 3:30 p.m. for media outlets to explain why they should have access to juvenile documents in this case, "if they exist" the judge said.
In the event prosecutors seek to try Lane as an adult, March 19 has been reserved to hear that request.
Shaken Chardon residents have offered condolences and prayers to the families of those killed and wounded during Monday's deadly shooting spree. Daniel Parmertor, Russell King Jr., and Demetrius Hewlin all died from gunshot wounds. Two others remain hospitalized.
Chardon HS Shooting
Football coach Frank Hall, who chased the Chardon High School shooter out of the building, is receiving national attention in a cover story for Sports Illustrated.
A football coach at Chardon High School is featured on the cover of Sports Illustrated for his role in confronting a gunman as his school.
A Geauga County judge ruled Friday that money from the Chardon Healing Fund will remain under court-protected authority until a final decision is made.
Ohio Attorney General Mike DeWine is ready to announce the recommendations of a committee formed to evaluate school safety in the wake of last year's school shootings in Connecticut and in Chardon in northeast Ohio.
The commencement ceremony for Chardon High School's class of 2013 being held Saturday is expected to be an emotional one, especially once Nick Walczak makes his way across the stage.
The families of the three teens killed in the Chardon High School shooting last year are suing the United Way.
Gov. John Kasich plans to deliver the commencement address at a northeast Ohio high school where three students were killed and three others injured in a 2012 shooting spree.
One of the surviving victims of the Chardon High School shooting is suing the admitted gunman.
Five law-enforcement dispatchers in Ohio have been honored for their work during a chaotic school shooting which left three students dead and three wounded.