The last of five defendants sentenced in a failed anti-Wall Street plot to bomb a highway bridge in Ohio has appealed his conviction and 10-year sentence.
AKRON, Ohio - A suspect in a plot to blow up a Cleveland-area bridge planned to use a phone to detonate what he thought were real explosives, a federal prosecutor said Tuesday.
Assistant U.S. Attorney Justin Herdman told jurors in the Akron trial of Joshua Stafford that Stafford tried again and again to use the phone.
"He wanted that bridge to be destroyed," Herdman said. "He wanted that bridge to come down."
Stafford, who is representing himself, acknowledges he can be seen in an infrared video taken of the bombing suspects by the FBI. The video was taken the night of April 30, 2012 at the base of the bridge, The Plain Dealer newspaper in Cleveland reported (http://bit.ly/12jU7B2).
But Stafford told jurors that the evidence will show "I did not have malicious intent to destroy that bridge."
No bomb went off and no one was injured in the plot. The intended target was a highway bridge over the Cuyahoga Valley National Park between Cleveland and Akron, authorities said.
An informant who secretly recorded conversations helped FBI agents foil the bomb plot, and an undercover agent supplied the would-be bridge-bombers with fake plastic explosives, authorities have said.
Stafford is charged with the use of weapons of mass destruction and aiding and abetting the use of weapons of mass destruction. His four co-defendants, all members of the Occupy Cleveland movement, previously pleaded guilty to charges related to the bombing plot and are serving prison terms.
Douglas Wright, 27, of Indianapolis, is serving 11 1/2 years in prison, and Brandon Baxter, 21, of Lakewood, was sentenced to nine years and nine months in prison. Connor Stevens, 21, of Berea, was sentenced to an eight-year prison term, while Anthony Hayne, 35, of Cleveland, received a sentence of six years.
Prosecutors had labeled Stafford and his four co-defendants as domestic terrorists.
Information from: The Plain Dealer, http://www.cleveland.com
Brecksville bridge bomb plot
One of the five men found guilty for their roles in a conspiracy to destroy a northeast Ohio bridge received his sentence Monday.
The last of five defendants in a failed anti-Wall Street plot to bomb a highway bridge near Cleveland faces sentencing after losing another bid for leniency.
Video released on Friday shows a group of men attempting to blow up the Brecksville-Northfield High Level Bridge last year.
The fifth suspect in the Brecksville bomb plot was found guilty on two counts of using weapons of mass destruction and one count of explosions materials.
The last of five suspects in a failed Ohio plot to bomb a highway bridge has taken the stand in his defense.
A prosecutor says an Ohio bridge bomb-plotting suspect planned to use a phone to detonate what he thought were real explosives.
The jury has been chosen in the case of Joshua Stafford, the last of five bridge bomb-plotting suspects, according to the U.S. Department of Justice.
The last of five bridge bomb-plotting suspects in northeast Ohio is headed to trial and the defendant will represent himself.