Medina Coroner confirms Brunswick standoff suspect was fatally shot by police

BRUNSWICK, Ohio - The Medina County Coroner's office confirms that the man involved in a 30 hour standoff with Brunswick police was fatally shot by officers.

According to Dr. Grabenstetter, the 39-year-old man was shot multiple times.

The 30-hour standoff  on Jefferson began Friday morning and ended Saturday around 7:30 p.m.

Neighbors of the quiet Brunswick street described the man and woman involved as, " … very nice people, good people, you know, great neighbors," said Vicki Paden. Another, Stacey Eget said, "We never had issues with them. Never."

Both neighbors said the two were "boyfriend and girlfriend" who at one point, lived together at the Jefferson Avenue home. Brunswick police and SWAT. members surrounded that very location for two days, evacuating several neighbors closest to the home.

"You don't know what goes through someone's mind. You just never wish it goes this far," said Paden, referring to her 39-year-old neighbor shot and killed.

Paden's husband and the suspect would often hang out together. Still, Paden had no idea what would have brought on the events of the standoff situation.

NewsChannel5 is not reporting the man's name until next of kin has been notified. The suspect's body will be reviewed by the Cuyahoga County Medical Examiner's Office.

Sources said a domestic dispute sparked the 30-hour standoff.

Brunswick police have no comment at this time and said a news conference with the chief of police is expected sometime on Monday.

The female victim, a mother of two according to neighbors, is expected to recover. Her injuries are unknown. 

Eget, learning of the woman's condition said, "We're saddened but pleased at the same time. You know we're saddened at [neighbor's] loss and then we're pleased that [female injured] is okay...We were just really scared for just everybody involved."

Authorities say they got a call from the man's brother who told them the 39 year-old was going to a home to hurt his ex-girlfriend.

Police and SWAT members surrounded the house and evacuated neighbors after finding the front door barricaded.

The Associated Press contributed to this story.

Print this article Back to Top