The last of five defendants sentenced in a failed anti-Wall Street plot to bomb a highway bridge in Ohio has appealed his conviction and 10-year sentence.
CLEVELAND - The five men accused of trying to blow up the Brecksville bridge will remain behind bars.
A federal judge decided the men will remain in custody, for now, as the judge needs more time to make a ruling on bond.
During the hearing, some surveillance video was shown and more details about the bomb plot came out.
Federal prosecutors said one of the suspects was even secretly recorded saying, "We just committed the biggest act of terrorism in Cleveland since the 1960s."
Federal prosecutors also showed Judge David Dowd night vision surveillance video that allegedly showed four of the five suspects placing what they thought were real bombs at the base of the Rt. 82 bridge that links Brecksville and Sagamore Hills.
One defense attorney said that was only a snippet of the whole story.
"There are hours and hours of tape and what was presented in court by the government today was what they wanted the judge to hear and we're going to make it our business to try to get some more information," said Tony Vegh, attorney for suspect Douglas Wright.
Prosecutors said the men went to an Applebee's 25 miles north of the bridge and tried to enter cellphone codes multiple times to blow up the bridge. But the bombs were fakes and the five men were arrested outside of the restaurant.
Prosecutor Duncan Brown told the judge on Wednesday that the suspects "knew what they were doing, wanted to do it and they thought they had done it."
Defense attorneys argued that Wright, Brandon Baxter, Anthony Hayne, Connor Stevens and Joshua Stafford were encouraged, even entrapped, by an informant that secretly recorded 40-50 hours of conversations leading up to the attempted bridge bombing.
"The evidence of entrapment really is evidence of lack of dangerousness. But for the government provocateur, in our view, they're not dangerous at all."
"Without the government provocateur, these guys could barely blow their nose, let alone blow up a bridge," said John Pyle, attorney for Baxter.
Prosecutors argued the suspects could be flight risks and should stay locked up until their September trial.
Lawyers for the suspects want them out on bond -- a decision that the judge still has to make.
"They will stay in jail until there is a ruling by the judge. The post hearing briefs are due June 8 and then the judge will rule at some point after that," explains Stevens' lawyer Jennifer Schwartz.
Judge Dowd said the suspects are entitled to view the surveillance recordings, which capture video and audio. The judge asked the prosecution to prepare entire transcripts of the tapes by June 15.
But June 8 is the day to watch as it's the day when the judge wants all final briefs filed on the issue of bond.
Brecksville bridge bomb plot
One of the five men found guilty for their roles in a conspiracy to destroy a northeast Ohio bridge received his sentence Monday.
The last of five defendants in a failed anti-Wall Street plot to bomb a highway bridge near Cleveland faces sentencing after losing another bid for leniency.
Video released on Friday shows a group of men attempting to blow up the Brecksville-Northfield High Level Bridge last year.
The fifth suspect in the Brecksville bomb plot was found guilty on two counts of using weapons of mass destruction and one count of explosions materials.
The last of five suspects in a failed Ohio plot to bomb a highway bridge has taken the stand in his defense.
A prosecutor says an Ohio bridge bomb-plotting suspect planned to use a phone to detonate what he thought were real explosives.
The jury has been chosen in the case of Joshua Stafford, the last of five bridge bomb-plotting suspects, according to the U.S. Department of Justice.
The last of five bridge bomb-plotting suspects in northeast Ohio is headed to trial and the defendant will represent himself.