CLEVELAND - Eight employees at NASA Glenn Research Center were hospitalized after contact with a white substance, a NASA spokeswoman said.
At about 11 a.m. on Wednesday, an employee at NASA Glenn who was exposed to a white substance developed a skin irritation, Lori Rachul with the NASA Glenn media relations office said.
The eight workers were taken to Southwest General Health Center in Middleburg Heights for "precautionary decontamination". Rachul said another building was evacuated as a precaution.
After investigation, authorities determined that the substance, which was found in a filing cabinet, is non-asbestos, silica-based insulation material, Rachul said. Safety personnel are cleaning the area.
Glenn protective services, and Cleveland Hopkins International Airport fire and rescue were alerted and responded. Berea, Strongsville and North Royalton fire departments were also on scene.
Check back to newsnet5.com for more information on this developing story.