One year after a high-speed Cleveland police chase, questions remain about how the chase ended with a shootout that left two unarmed people dead.
CLEVELAND - Cleveland's Police Chief Michael McGrath made a promise to residents in Thursday night's community forum - a promise to investigate whether or not officers adhered to police policy in last week's chase and double shooting.
"It is my responsibility as Chief of police, relative to this particular incident, is to do a review and investigation to ensure that the officers and supervisors were in compliance with their own rules," McGrath said.
Back in 2006, a new excessive force policy was introduced by newly elected mayor Frank Jackson, with the support of Chief McGrath. That policy on excessive force reads: "Officers shall not unreasonably place themselves in a position where a threat of imminent danger of death, or serious physical injury is created when attempting to stop a motor vehicle or apprehend a felony suspect."
That's not the only policy in place officers are expected to follow.
There's another involving vehicle pursuits. NewsChannel5 found in the six-page guideline, not only are officers not allowed to join a pursuit in progress without permission from a sector supervisor but the sector supervisor shall permit no more than two police vehicles to directly engage in a pursuit, except under unusual and well-articulated circumstance.
Ohio Attorney General Mike DeWine says all the bits and pieces are being collected and thoroughly examined as both the criminal investigation and investigation into followed police policy continue.
DeWine states, "Everyone on my team knows that it's important to get this done quickly, but it's also important to get this done right."
Family members of the victims of the deadly 2012 Cleveland police chase have filed a lawsuit against the city and several police officers involved.
Cleveland Police Chief Michael McGrath says he foresees a new policy holding supervisors "more accountable" as a result of his review into the Nov. 29, 2012 police chase.
Cleveland Police Chief Michael McGrath announced Tuesday the results of disciplinary hearings for officers involved in the Nov. 29, 2012 deadly chase. 63 patrol officers have been suspended.
Turmoil in the Cleveland Police Department has hurt officer morale, invigorated a mayoral campaign and led to frank discussions about race.
NewsChannel5 investigators learned Cleveland Police Chief Michael McGrath will begin holding disciplinary hearings for officers involved in the Nov. 29 deadly chase Friday.
Disciplinary hearings began on Monday for Cleveland patrol officers facing charges related to the Nov. 29 police chase and shooting.
New details have emerged in the case of two Clevelanders gunned down last year by Cleveland police following a police chase throughout the city.
It was shortly after the Nov. 29 shooting deaths of Timothy Russell and Malissa Williams that East Cleveland Mayor Gary Norton asked something of his law director and prosecutor.
75 Cleveland patrol officers have been found in violation of departmental rules and regulations for their roles in a deadly November chase.