The last of five defendants sentenced in a failed anti-Wall Street plot to bomb a highway bridge in Ohio has appealed his conviction and 10-year sentence.
CLEVELAND - One of five men charged with plotting to bomb a highway bridge wants to be tried separately and have the trial outside northeast Ohio, where the men allegedly considered blowing up various high-profile targets.
The requests were filed Monday by Douglas Wright's attorney, who says Wright should be tried separately because the other defendants have pointed to him as an instigator.
Authorities have called the men anarchists, and investigators say the group planted what turned out to be a dud bomb provided by an FBI undercover informant on a bridge south of Cleveland and then tried to detonate it.
All five have pleaded not guilty. They could face life in prison if convicted.
The attorney for Wright, 26, of Indianapolis, said the trial should be moved more than 100 miles to Toledo in northwest Ohio, away from northeast Ohio targets that allegedly were considered. There was no immediate ruling from U.S. District Court Judge David Dowd, who had scheduling meetings on the case Tuesday.
Wright's attorney, Anthony Vegh, said the other defendants had implicated his client during their initial interviews with the FBI.
The government likely will seek to use that testimony from FBI agents, but the four wouldn't be subject to cross-examination by the Wright defense, Vegh said. That situation would violate Wright's constitutional right to confront his accusers, Vegh told the judge in the motion for a separate trial.
The motion said the other defendants told the FBI that Wright "got him involved in the conspiracy," hinted they were about to do something "real crazy," "probably tried to make an explosive," and "carried the boxes that were placed under the bridge."
In seeking to move the case out of Akron, Vegh said the government's allegation that targets had been considered across Cleveland would prejudice jurors familiar with the locations and might make them think they had been potential victims.
"How could a juror whose daughter drives across the Veterans Memorial Bridge every day remain dispassionate when he hears that the defendants considered blowing that bridge up," Vegh asked in the motion. "It would be unrealistic to expect such a juror to not be hostile."
The attorney for co-defendant Anthony Hayne, 35, of Cleveland, said he would not comment on the issues of a separate trial and moving the trial.
Messages seeking comment were left for the other defense attorneys and for government prosecutors.
Brecksville bridge bomb plot
One of the five men found guilty for their roles in a conspiracy to destroy a northeast Ohio bridge received his sentence Monday.
The last of five defendants in a failed anti-Wall Street plot to bomb a highway bridge near Cleveland faces sentencing after losing another bid for leniency.
Video released on Friday shows a group of men attempting to blow up the Brecksville-Northfield High Level Bridge last year.
The fifth suspect in the Brecksville bomb plot was found guilty on two counts of using weapons of mass destruction and one count of explosions materials.
The last of five suspects in a failed Ohio plot to bomb a highway bridge has taken the stand in his defense.
A prosecutor says an Ohio bridge bomb-plotting suspect planned to use a phone to detonate what he thought were real explosives.
The jury has been chosen in the case of Joshua Stafford, the last of five bridge bomb-plotting suspects, according to the U.S. Department of Justice.
The last of five bridge bomb-plotting suspects in northeast Ohio is headed to trial and the defendant will represent himself.
A federal judge will allow the last of five bridge bomb-plotting suspects in northeast Ohio to represent himself at trial.