The FBI will tell you timing is everything. It was in the right place at the right time to stop five men accused of planning to blow up a bridge right in our backyard.
CLEVELAND - The fifth suspect in the Brecksville bomb plot was found guilty on two counts of using weapons of mass destruction and one count of explosions materials.
Joshua Stafford, represented himself during the three-day trial. The 24-year-old Cleveland man will be sentenced on Sept. 11.
Stafford is the last of five suspects to be found guilty in a plot to destroy a bridge in Brecksville that runs over Cuyahoga Valley National Park.
"This defendant took it upon himself to operate the cell phone he believed to be the device that would detonate two IED devices and cause potentially significant damage to the Route 82 Brecksville-Northfield High Level Bridge," said Stephen D. Anthony, Special Agent in Charge of the Cleveland FBI.
"This defendant's callous disregard for our community, all in the name of making his own ideological views known, reinforces the need for law enforcement to work diligently to confront and stop terrorists from committing violent acts against our fellow citizens," Anthony said.
The four other defendants pleaded guilty last year to conspiracy to use weapons of mass destruction, attempted use of weapons of mass destruction and malicious use of an explosive device to destroy property used in interstate commerce.
- Douglas L. Wright, of Indianapolis, was sentenced to 11 and a half years in prison
- Brandon L. Baxter, of Lakewood, Ohio, was sentenced to nine years and nine months in prison
- Connor C. Stevens, of Berea, Ohio, was sentenced to eight years and one month in prison
- Anthony M. Hayne, 35, of Cleveland, was sentenced to six years in prison