The last of five defendants sentenced in a failed anti-Wall Street plot to bomb a highway bridge in Ohio has appealed his conviction and 10-year sentence.
CLEVELAND - One of five suspects charged with plotting to bomb an Ohio highway bridge wants to exclude trial evidence that he threatened to bomb his seventh-grade principal.
Information about the alleged threat by Douglas Wright, 26, of Indianapolis, when he was 12 years old would prejudice the jury, his attorney, Anthony Vegh, told the judge in a court filing.
U.S. District Court Judge David Dowd told attorneys Thursday that he would take up the issue next month.
All five men have pleaded not guilty. They allegedly tried to detonate what turned out to be a dud bomb provided by an informant.
Brief details of the alleged school threat were included in a transcript of the FBI's interview of Wright. He told the FBI agent he never carried through on the threat and no bomb materials were found.
"Not even one single component of a pipe bomb or stuff," Wright told the agent.
Wright told the agent that he wound up in juvenile court over the threat.
An FBI spokeswoman said no other details on the threat were immediately available.
Earlier in the week, Vegh asked the judge to try Wright separately and have the trial outside northeast Ohio, where the men allegedly considered blowing up various high-profile targets. Vegh said the other defendants have fingered Wright as an instigator.
Authorities have called the men anarchists, and investigators say the group planted what turned out to be a dud bomb provided by an FBI undercover informant on a bridge over the Cuyahoga Valley National Park between Cleveland and Akron.
Brecksville bridge bomb plot
One of the five men found guilty for their roles in a conspiracy to destroy a northeast Ohio bridge received his sentence Monday.
The last of five defendants in a failed anti-Wall Street plot to bomb a highway bridge near Cleveland faces sentencing after losing another bid for leniency.
Video released on Friday shows a group of men attempting to blow up the Brecksville-Northfield High Level Bridge last year.
The fifth suspect in the Brecksville bomb plot was found guilty on two counts of using weapons of mass destruction and one count of explosions materials.
The last of five suspects in a failed Ohio plot to bomb a highway bridge has taken the stand in his defense.
A prosecutor says an Ohio bridge bomb-plotting suspect planned to use a phone to detonate what he thought were real explosives.
The jury has been chosen in the case of Joshua Stafford, the last of five bridge bomb-plotting suspects, according to the U.S. Department of Justice.
The last of five bridge bomb-plotting suspects in northeast Ohio is headed to trial and the defendant will represent himself.
A federal judge will allow the last of five bridge bomb-plotting suspects in northeast Ohio to represent himself at trial.