ORWELL, Ohio - A gas explosion in Orwell claimed the life of a 27-year-old woman and left one male seriously injured July 16.
The Ohio Fire Marshal ruled that the explosion was caused by a water well that had run dry because a toilet ran all day. The empty well filled with natural gas and the gas entered the home through the plumbing.
Now, friends and family of Malerie Nick and Jaimes Ortiz have organized a fundraiser in an effort to cover the high medical bills from the accident.
Ortiz suffered second and third degree burns from the explosion and will have to endure an intense physical recovery.
A spaghetti dinner fundraiser is set for Saturday, August 23 at Grand Valley High School to benefit the two victims. The event runs from 3-6 p.m.. The cost is $10 for adults, $8 for children and senior citizens.
A Chinese auction will start at 5 p.m.