COLUMBUS, Ohio - Investigators ruled the house explosion that killed a 27-year-old woman in Orwell overnight Wednesday as accidental.
The Ohio Fire Marshal ruled that the explosion was caused by a water well that had run dry because a toilet ran all day. The empty well filled with natural gas and the gas entered the home through the plumbing.
A lit cigarette ignited the explosion, which killed 27-year-old Malerie Nick. She was reportedly in the downstairs kitchen at the time of the explosion, which residents heard as far as five miles away.
A man in the home, Jaimes Ortis, was listed in critical condition for burns at a hospital Thursday.