Police to reveal more info about remains found in Seven Hills backyard

Homeless man who stayed with family is victim

SEVEN HILLS, Ohio - A 4 p.m. news conference has been called after the remains of a man were found in the backyard of a Seven Hills home.

The Cuyahoga County coroner's office is not certain how long the remains had been on the property at 7606 Oakwood Drive. An autopsy was expected on either Sunday or Monday, according to a spokeserson, Powell Caesar.

The home is owned by Frank and Char Dienes.

Acting on a tip, Seven Hills police and agents with the Ohio Bureau of Criminal Identification and Investigation searched a small, wooded area about 200 feet behind the home on Friday night and Saturday morning.

Seven Hills Police Chief Gary Durkin said foul play is suspected and the victim may have been shot to death and then buried.  A suspect is in custody, but not charged, Durkin said.

Durkin said an infomant, identifed only as "Jane Doe", came forward with information about human remains that  were buried behind the home.  Durkin said the informant was told the details by "someone who lives at the residence."

Neighbors saw the investigators digging and searching under blue tarps.

"We just saw the tape and things going on in the backyard.  We were watching through the windows to make sure everything was o.k.  They had cadaver dogs," said Steve Kalnasy, who lives next door.

 On Saturday, several cars were parked outside of the home, but no one would talk to the media.  A woman walked out of the home briefly and said there was a sick person inside.  A sign taped to the front door reads, "Please no media at this time."

Eric Nemecek, an attorney for the Dienes family released the following statement on Saturday afternoon:  "It is my understanding that the investigation of this matter remains pending and no charges have been filed. What we do know is that both Frank and Char Dienes are active and productive members within the local community, and are held in high regard by those closest to them. They have cooperated fully with the authorities throughout the investigative process. Because there is an ongoing investigation, we have elected to refrain from making any further comments at this time."

Neighbors said they're nervous and want to know what happened.

"Of course, it's scary," said Shari Bloom, who recently moved into the neighborhood.

Several neighbors said there is often a lot of activity at the home with people coming and going.

Kalnasy described the husband and wife at the Oakwood Drive home as nice, friendly people. He also said the family took in a homeless man a few years ago, but Kalnasy hasn't seen him for two or three months.

Chief Durkin said they responded to the home about a month ago after the homeowners complained that they were having trouble evicting a tenant.

Investigators won't say if there's a connection between that call, the human remains discovered and the possible suspect who is now in custody.

"I hope they find out what's going on," Kalnasy said.

A 4 p.m. news conference has been scheduled for Monday. Keep checking newsnet5.com for more information.

Print this article Back to Top