Man shoots wife's parents, kills father-in-law and then shoots himself

Shooter dies at MetroHealth Medical Center

CLEVELAND - Police say 27-year-old Aaron Starr shot and killed his father-in-law, then shot himself in the head.

The shooting happened in the 4700 block of W. 197th Street in southwest Cleveland. 

Police received a call for a domestic violence incident in progress around 2:15 a.m., and while the caller was on the phone with the dispatcher, shots were fired. The incident appears to be the result of an ongoing domestic dispute, according to neighbors.

Starr shot half a dozen bullets through the front door while bursting into the home this morning. Starr was taken MetroHealth Medical Center, where he died Friday evening.

A neighbor told NewsChannel5 that the shooter is going through a breakup with a woman who was living in the house with her parents. Starr, who is the woman's estranged husband came to the house and shot her parents, according to police.

When police arrived on the scene, they found 50-year-old James Bulkowski shot in the chest, and his 49-year-old wife shot in the leg. James Bulkowski died on the way to the hospital.

As police pulled up to the house, they heard a single gunshot from the garage. When police entered the garage, they found Starr unresponsive with a single gunshot wound to the head. Police on scene initially told NewsChannel5 that he was dead, but MetroHealth said he is in critical condition.

Starr's estranged wife and another man were in the home at the time but were not shot, and they were talking with police after the incident. 

The home's front door was marked with bullet holes, along with with a broken window. Police were marking what are believed to be shell casings on and near the front porch.

According to neighbors, the alleged shooter has a history of threatening and terrorizing his estranged-wife and her parents. One neighbor said that the couple who lived in the house warned friends to call police whenever they saw the man's car.

That car was parked in front of the home on the wrong side of the street. The vehicle was towed from the scene Friday morning.

Print this article Back to Top