Hanna Building evacuated in Cleveland after fire in electrical vault

CLEVELAND - Cleveland firefighters evacuated the Hanna Building after a fire started in the electrical vault.

Larry Gray, PIO for Cleveland fire, said crews were called out around 1:30 p.m. to battle the small blaze.

The building was evacuated and the power was shut off immediately.

"The smoke went outside the building so that's great news, so no damage inside the building," said Tom Einhouse, vice president of facilities for Playhouse Square. "We anticipate getting the building back on line very quickly, the evacuation went very orderly."

Cleveland Public Power crews are servicing the damaged transformer and plan to restore full power as soon as possible.

Tenants of the office building were able to return to their offices shortly before 3 p.m. to get belongings and close operations for the day to allow building crews to make a thorough inspection of the building.

The three restaurant facilities in the building, Alex's Restaurant & Bar, Bricco and Starbucks, will be closed for the evening.

Guests attending performances at PlayhouseSquare Wednesday evening may want to make alternate plans for dining. Other restaurants in the PlayhouseSquare neighborhood include Cowell & Hubbard, Encore! at the Wyndham, Otto Moser's and Sammy's.

"We expect tenants to be able to return to work and the restaurants to be operating as usual Thursday," said Einhouse.

All performances scheduled for PlayhouseSquare venues this evening will go on as planned: Bell, Book and Candle in the Allen Theatre and Potted Potter in the Ohio Theatre, both starting at 7:30 p.m.

Print this article Back to Top

Comments