One year after a high-speed Cleveland police chase, questions remain about how the chase ended with a shootout that left two unarmed people dead.
CLEVELAND - A grassroots organization of faith and community-based groups is asking Cuyahoga County Prosecutor Timothy McGinty to recuse himself from the Cleveland police shooting case.
On Tuesday, Ohio Attorney General Mike DeWine detailed the investigation into the case, a police chase that turned deadly when the two people being chased were shot and killed by police. DeWine said it shows a "systemic failure" in the Cleveland Police Department. McGinty will look at the report and present the findings to a grand jury.
The Task Force for Community Mobilization issued a statement saying they question McGinty's objectivity for the following reasons:
1. He has a close and well documented relationship with the police department.
2. As an assistant prosecutor, he "maliciously" prosecuted Michael Green who was found guilty. The conviction was overturned after it was discovered that evidence had been suppressed.
3. As a judge, he issued a search warrant in the case of 15-year-old Brandon McCloud who was killed when detectives showed up at his house with a search warrant, not an arrest warrant, and the teenager was killed by (a) detective. The warrant shown to the young man's grandmother was not a signed warrant.
At a news conference on Thursday, members of the task force also said they're not satisfied with DeWine's report.
"The attorney general stated there was a breakdown in the system," Task Force chairman Khalid Samad said. "You cannot charge the system with being at fault for the death of these two individuals nor can the system be blamed for what may be any violation or alleged violation on behalf of police officers. So we felt that was the easy way out."
The organization is asking the Civil Rights Division of the U.S. Attorney General's Office to make sure that the officers involved in the shooting are held accountable.
"Clearly this is the worst shooting that we know of in the history of the United States of America," Samad said. "The most cars. The most shots fired and the most shots fired by one police officer in the history of the United States. We have to bring the federal government in. We have to. We have no choice."
Family members of the victims of the deadly 2012 Cleveland police chase have filed a lawsuit against the city and several police officers involved.
Cleveland Police Chief Michael McGrath says he foresees a new policy holding supervisors "more accountable" as a result of his review into the Nov. 29, 2012 police chase.
Cleveland Police Chief Michael McGrath announced Tuesday the results of disciplinary hearings for officers involved in the Nov. 29, 2012 deadly chase. 63 patrol officers have been suspended.
Turmoil in the Cleveland Police Department has hurt officer morale, invigorated a mayoral campaign and led to frank discussions about race.
NewsChannel5 investigators learned Cleveland Police Chief Michael McGrath will begin holding disciplinary hearings for officers involved in the Nov. 29 deadly chase Friday.
Disciplinary hearings began on Monday for Cleveland patrol officers facing charges related to the Nov. 29 police chase and shooting.
New details have emerged in the case of two Clevelanders gunned down last year by Cleveland police following a police chase throughout the city.
It was shortly after the Nov. 29 shooting deaths of Timothy Russell and Malissa Williams that East Cleveland Mayor Gary Norton asked something of his law director and prosecutor.
75 Cleveland patrol officers have been found in violation of departmental rules and regulations for their roles in a deadly November chase.