Former WEWS sports anchor Terry Brooks found not guilty of all rape, kidnapping charges

CLEVELAND - A jury in Cuyahoga County has found former WEWS sports anchor Terry Brooks not guilty on all charges of rape and kidnapping.

The deliberations started late Wednesday afternoon and continued until about 2 p.m. Thursday.

Brooks embraced his wife, Nicole, after the judge ended the proceedings. Both then spoke with members of the media.

"God is good, number one. It’s very unfortunate that I had to endure this, that my wife had to endure this -- that these lies even reached this point," said Terry Brooks. "Justice was served today. I never had anything to say because once the indictment came down, I knew that this had to go the entire course."

"Through this situation, I supported my husband 100 percent, even when this all came down," said Nicole Brooks. "They tried to destroy us; they tried to destroy our marriage. But I knew my husband didn’t do this," said Nicole Brooks.



Last August, grand jury indicted Brooks on four counts of rape, four counts of attempted rape and one count of kidnapping.

The trial started last Friday and continued through Wednesday, when the case went to the jury.

The alleged victim told police that she and Brooks met for drinks at a bar in South Euclid in Sept. 2009, and then Brooks drove her back to his home and raped her. She was 21 years old at the time.

The woman didn’t report the alleged incident to police until Jan. 2010.

During the trial, the alleged victim testified that she had three or four drinks and said she felt like she had no control during sexual acts that happened between the two.

Brooks’ attorneys argued the sex was consensual.

The prosecution called the alleged victim, Brooks’ wife and a former co-worker at WEWS to the stand during the trial.

Brooks resigned from his position as weekend sports anchor at WEWS on Oct. 7 after the indictment was announced Aug. 4. Throughout the case, he has maintained he was innocent of the charges.

Keep checking for more information and reaction from the verdict.

Print this article Back to Top