CLEVELAND - The city's renaissance continues, with plans for five new restaurants set to move in on the East Bank of the Flats.
Toby Keith's "I Love This Bar & Grill" is one of the new eateries that have given a commitment to locating in Cleveland's newest development area.
The other four restaurants are Ken Stewart's, Lago, Flip Side and Dos Tequilas.
The announcement was made in a news release sent out by Flats East Bank developers.
"Drawing a national tenant like Toby Keith's venue is a tremendous coup," said developer Scott Wolstein in a news release. "The leasing momentum is very strong, and we are pleased with the local and national interest we are seeing on this project."
Rock and Roll Hall of Fame President and CEO Terry Stewart said Keith's commitment is another reason "Cleveland Rocks."
"We have a huge untapped country music market here in northeast Ohio," Stewart said in the news release. "I couldn't be more pleased Toby Keith is bringing his entertainment concept to Cleveland to fill that void."
Developers are in financing and pre-construction of the second phase of the new Flats project.
The goal is transform the waterfront district into a neighborhood with a 140-unit residential complex along the water, along with restaurants, retail stores, a park and sand beach. Based on future demand, additional apartment units may be added.
Here are details of each of the restaurants, according to the news release:
* Toby Keith's I Love This Bar & Grill— The country music icon's restaurant will feature live music by current and emerging country stars, quality BBQ, and of course, a plethora of Toby Keith memorabilia. The signature guitar‐shaped bar and restaurant has experienced overwhelming success in other markets. The Cleveland location will be a regional entertainment draw in what is considered one of the most underserved country music markets in the country.
* Ken Stewart's— Ken Stewart has developed a reputation in northeast Ohio for his popular restaurants in Akron and Bath— Ken Stewart's Grille, Ken Stewart's Lodge and most recently, Tre Belle. The local restaurateur is excited to expand his reach to Cleveland. The Flats East Bank location will offer cuisine similar to the original Ken Stewart's Grille in Akron, including quality steaks, seafood and more than 600 wine selections. Ken describes the ambiance as "comfortable, upscale dining" and envisions the location to be a favorite spot for nearby professionals.
* Lago— Well known for his thriving restaurants in Little Italy, Shaker Heights, Battery Park and Tremont, popular chef and restauranteur Fabio Salerno has carved out a niche for himself in historic neighborhoods all over Cleveland and now has committed to the Flats East Bank neighborhood. Famous for its authentic Italian cuisine, Lago will expand on its current concept to cater to a broader palate. The new location will anchor the Aloft Hotel and offer amenities to help keep up with the demand for Lago's rapidly growing catering business.
Michael Schwartz, along with Shawn and Tiffany Monday, will open two new chef‐driven restaurants in Flats East Bank including:
* Flip Side‐ A booming success in Hudson's First & Main development and at Easton in Columbus, Michael Schwartz along with Shawn and Tiffany Monday will open a new venue in Flats East Bank. Flip Side is a top‐of‐the‐market burger concept offering the freshest, highest quality ingredients and a large selection of regional craft beers.
* Dos Tequilas— The high‐end eclectic Mexican restaurant will be an original venture featuring gourmet tacos of the freshest fixings. Offering an ambiance crafted of natural materials such as concrete and wood, the hip, urban taqueria will offer a lengthy menu of approximately fifty tequilas, many of which this market has never seen.