Cleveland Police: Mother was in room when 1-year-old boy was shot, killed at home on E. 63rd Street

CLEVELAND - The family of a 1-year-old boy shot to death by a 3-year-old playmate is speaking out about the tragedy.

The child's aunt said 1-year-old Braylon Robinson was playing on the floor with two other children, ages one and three, who were described as the children of a family friend.

Investigators said they believe the boy was shot by a 3-year-old child boy.

Shonda Robinson, Braylon's aunt, said her sister heard the gun go off, but was on the couch facing the other direction when the 3-year-old apparently found the weapon.

A handgun was found near the 3-year-old. Neither of the other children sustained injuries. 

Robinson says the family was unaware that any weapons were in the home and suspect it may have belonged to the child's father.

Describing the emotional loss the family is facing, Robinson said, "We can never get that back and his mother can never get that back—that's her only child and he's gone."

Robinson added, "Somebody should be held accountable."

"It’s a sad day for Cleveland," Cleveland Police Chief Calvin Williams said outside the home, located in the 3700 block of East 63rd Street. "A 1-year-old child lost his life."

Williams said the gun was unattended and police are investigating where the gun came from and how the child got ahold of it. 

"A 3-year-old can't be held accountable for a tragedy like this. There have to be adults that either supplied the weapons, had charge of the weapons or knew the weapons were there and didn't do anything to safeguard them," Williams said.

The victim, identified by the Cuyahoga County Medical Examiner's office as Braylon Robinson, died while being taken to the hospital.

Williams said the incident calls for the community to look at ways to curb gun-related deaths, not just in Cleveland, but in the country. 

"This fascination we have with handguns, not just in the city, but in this country has to stop. This is a senseless loss of life in this city again," Williams said. "It’s directly related to guns. We need to really take a hard look at the things that we’re doing out there on the state, local, and national level to get some of these guns out of our community." 

The two relatives of the deceased child were released to their mother.

So far, no charges have been filed. 

An investigation is ongoing.

Meanwhile, the family says it is struggling with funeral-related expenses and has established a GoFundMe funeral account.


Follow Bob Jones on Facebook and Twitter



Follow Michael Baldwin on Facebook and Twitter


Print this article Back to Top