NewsChannel5 Investigators have learned the City of Cleveland has hired an outside law firm to represent the city and 13 officers named in a federal lawsuit filed by the family members of the victims of the deadly Nov. 2012 police chase and shooting.
EAST CLEVELAND: - More than 30 officers were involved with chase that ended in two people shot to death and 13 Cleveland Division of Police officers fired their guns, said East Cleveland Police Chief Ralph Spotts.
On Thursday, an officer said he heard a shot fired near the Cuyahoga County Justice Center from a car, which started the roughly 25-minute chase. It ended behind an East Cleveland middle school, were officers shot 137 times, killing a 30-year-old woman and a 43-year-old man.
Those officers were scheduled to be interviewed Tuesday and Wednesday at the Bureau of Criminal Investigation in Richfield.
BCI is also checking surveillance cameras at businesses downtown and all along chase route. Officials are examining RTA cameras to see if couple in the car ever had or fired a gun.
Results from residue testing of victims Timothy Russell and Malissa Williams' hands could be done by the end of this week or the beginning of next week. Spotts said this is a "crucial test", although no gun was found in the car.
Police radio dispatch said the driver had on a "pair of black gloves, but no gun," and was holding a "red pop can."
The investigation into the shooting is being handled by BCI, with East Cleveland police and the Cuyahoga County Sheriff's Office. But Cleveland police will be doing an investigation into police policy and use of force.
The use Cleveland Division of Police use of deadly force policy has had four revisions since 2005, the most recent in 2006 and 2007.
Dan Tierney with the Ohio Attorney General's Office said there is no time table on when the investigation will be complete. BCI will not be able to provide much information until its turned over to the Cuyahoga County Prosecutor's office.
One year after a high-speed Cleveland police chase, questions remain about how the chase ended with a shootout that left two unarmed people dead.
Family members of the victims of the deadly 2012 Cleveland police chase have filed a lawsuit against the city and several police officers involved.
Cleveland Police Chief Michael McGrath says he foresees a new policy holding supervisors "more accountable" as a result of his review into the Nov. 29, 2012 police chase.
Cleveland Police Chief Michael McGrath announced Tuesday the results of disciplinary hearings for officers involved in the Nov. 29, 2012 deadly chase. 63 patrol officers have been suspended.
Turmoil in the Cleveland Police Department has hurt officer morale, invigorated a mayoral campaign and led to frank discussions about race.
NewsChannel5 investigators learned Cleveland Police Chief Michael McGrath will begin holding disciplinary hearings for officers involved in the Nov. 29 deadly chase Friday.
Disciplinary hearings began on Monday for Cleveland patrol officers facing charges related to the Nov. 29 police chase and shooting.
New details have emerged in the case of two Clevelanders gunned down last year by Cleveland police following a police chase throughout the city.
It was shortly after the Nov. 29 shooting deaths of Timothy Russell and Malissa Williams that East Cleveland Mayor Gary Norton asked something of his law director and prosecutor.