CLEVLEAND - The Call & Post newspaper was the result of two struggling weekly papers merging together to create one publication. One was named the Call and the other was called the Post.
The marriage, so to speak, took place in 1927 and got off to a rocky start until William. O. Walker came on the scene in 1932. Walker was a black businessman from Baltimore who took the paper's size from four to 12 pages and increased it's circulation to 10,000.
The Call & Post's success was attributed to the violent stories that were sensationalized on the front page. But it was balanced by the paper's excellent coverage of the African American community's religious and social news. When it came to politics, the paper had support from local black Democrats and a few Republican preferences in the national arena.
In 1959 it was time to move. The paper moved from E. 55th Street to its own building on E. 105th and Chester Ave. This is where the paper became one of the first in Ohio to convert to offset printing. Also at this time separate editions were added in Cincinnati and Columbus.
In 1981 Walker died and Harry Alexander and John Bustamante became publishers. Two years later the traditional Saturday publication date was moved up to Thursday.
In 1995, the paper struggled financially and filed for Chapter 11 bankruptcy protection. But in 1998 the purchase of the paper by boxing promoter Don King brought success to the Call & Post. King serves as publisher and owner and the paper continues to increase its circulation.
The Call & Post headquarters is located at 11800 Shaker Blvd.