CLEVELAND - Cleveland kidnapping suspect Ariel Castro was indicted on additional charges on Friday, the Cuyahoga County Prosecutor's Office said.
Castro is accused of holding Amanda Berry, Gina DeJesus and Michelle Knight captive for a decade in his Seymour Avenue house on Cleveland's near-west side. He was already charged with 329 counts, covering Aug. 22, 2002 through Feb. 28, 2007.
[Click here to read the indictment: http://bit.ly/15nPSBS ]
The newly-filed superseding is for 977 counts, which includes two aggravated murder charges for an unidentified female, according to a court official. The indictment is 576 pages long and covers the entire time the women were missing, starting in 2002 and ending on May 6.
"Today's indictment moves us closer to resolution of this gruesome case,'' Cuyahoga County Prosecutor Tim McGinty said in a statement on Friday. "Our investigation continues, as does our preparation for trial."
Castro will be arraigned on the new counts on July 17. The prosecutor's office said Castro wants his trial to take place within 90 days of his arrest and the state said they will be ready for the Aug. 5 start.
"The first indictment only contained charges through early 2007 so we expected additional charges from a grand jury. We are pleased that we were able to convince the prosecutor's office to not seek and obtain the death penalty in this new indictment," said Castro's attorneys at the Law Offices of Craig T. Weintraub. "It is our hope that we can continue to work toward a resolution of this matter so that the women do not have to endure any additional trauma."
According to the prosecutor's office, the state can still add death penalty specifications in another superseding indictment.
Earlier this week, the three survivors released a video , thanking the community for support and respecting their privacy.
Check newsnet5.com for more information.
A local woman remembers her own ordeal after watching Michelle Knight speak on a national TV program.
Cleveland-area residents reacted to Michelle Knight's first interview since she escaped from Ariel Castro's home, where she was held in captivity for 11 years.
Michelle Knight, who was held captive by Ariel Castro for 11 years, revealed details of what happened to her inside the convicted rapist and kidnapper's home in a national TV interview with Dr. Phil Tuesday.
An Ohio prison guard has resigned after an investigation about falsification of logs documenting checks on a death row inmate who later committed suicide.
Ohio's prison system has faced a glut of bad news in recent months, from inmate suicides to four homicides in a single prison in about a year, but long-term population growth trends are causing officials the most headaches.
Mary Jordan, a reporter for the Washington Post, will write a book for Amanda Berry and Gina DeJesus about the horrors that happened inside the house on Seymour Avenue.
There are 238 sex offenders who live within a two-mile radius of the former home of late convicted kidnapper Ariel Castro, according to a public records search.
The warden will move from Correctional Reception Center south of Columbus to the same job at Madison Correctional Institution.
An Ohio bill to provide cash reparations and other assistance to the three women held captive in a Cleveland home passed the House Wednesday.