The last of five defendants sentenced in a failed anti-Wall Street plot to bomb a highway bridge in Ohio has appealed his conviction and 10-year sentence.
CLEVELAND - Dozens of members of Occupy Cleveland showed up at a Cleveland courthouse to support the five people charged in connection with an alleged plot to blow up a northeast Ohio bridge.
The five suspects -- 21-year-old Connor Stevens, 24-year-old Joshua Stafford (aka "Skully"), 26-year-old Douglas Wright (aka "Cyco), 20-year-old Brandon Baxter (aka "Skabby") and 37-year-old Anthony Hayne (aka "Tony" & "Billy") – pleaded not guilty during their arraignment Monday morning.
The suspects had the charges -- conspiracy and attempted use of explosive material to damage physical property affecting interstate commerce -- read to them in open court.
In all, about 50 members of the Occupy Cleveland group went into courthouse. After the arrests were made, Occupy Cleveland said the five suspects were associated with the group, but they were "in no way representing or acting on behalf of Occupy Cleveland."
A man in the group – believed to be a father of one of the suspects -- was overheard asking people to pray for the suspect.
The city of Cleveland decided to not renew the group's permit a day after the arrests, but did not say if the decision was related to the bomb plot.
The FBI said the five self-proclaimed anarchists came up with a plan to blow up the Route 82 bridge over the Cuyahoga National Forest in Brecksville. They were arrested after allegedly pushing a button they thought would detonate a C4 bomb placed at the base of the bridge on April 30.
An undercover informant working with the FBI had provided the group with an inert bomb.
Baxter's attorney told NewsChannel5 the informant, who has a long criminal record, coached the suspects.
All five suspects will remain in federal custody, as their detention hearing was postponed.
NewsChannel5 will continue to follow this case. Keep checking newsnet5.com for more information.
Brecksville bridge bomb plot
One of the five men found guilty for their roles in a conspiracy to destroy a northeast Ohio bridge received his sentence Monday.
The last of five defendants in a failed anti-Wall Street plot to bomb a highway bridge near Cleveland faces sentencing after losing another bid for leniency.
Video released on Friday shows a group of men attempting to blow up the Brecksville-Northfield High Level Bridge last year.
The fifth suspect in the Brecksville bomb plot was found guilty on two counts of using weapons of mass destruction and one count of explosions materials.
The last of five suspects in a failed Ohio plot to bomb a highway bridge has taken the stand in his defense.
A prosecutor says an Ohio bridge bomb-plotting suspect planned to use a phone to detonate what he thought were real explosives.
The jury has been chosen in the case of Joshua Stafford, the last of five bridge bomb-plotting suspects, according to the U.S. Department of Justice.
The last of five bridge bomb-plotting suspects in northeast Ohio is headed to trial and the defendant will represent himself.
A federal judge will allow the last of five bridge bomb-plotting suspects in northeast Ohio to represent himself at trial.