Man killed in shooting on Akron's west side

Police still searching for a suspect

AKRON, Ohio - Akron police said the man found dead in a parking lot on the city's west side is the older brother of a now 21-year-old jailed on gang-related involuntary manslaughter charges.

On Monday around 3:15 p.m., Akron police found a man dead on W. Exchange Street and Westwood Avenue. Authorities said Garrick Feaster, 31, was found behind a building in a rear parking lot with a fatal gunshot wound to his head. The crime scene is near the Krispy Kreme Doughnuts shop and just down the road from Bridals by Philvens.

Akron attorney, Jana DeLoach who represents Garrick Feaster's younger brother, Tyree, spoke on the grieving family's behalf. DeLoach told the Beacon Journal that Feaster had at least six kids and was a former street gang member trying who was straightening his life out. It was a move she told the newspaper "brought him enemies, who were envious of his success."

As mentioned, the Feaster family is no stranger to making headlines. Last week, an appeals court ruled Garrick Feaster's younger brother, Tyree Feaster, now 21, could withdraw his guilty plea in connection to the murder of Shawrica Lester in January 2007. The reason: Summit County Juvenile Court Judge Linda Tucci Teodosio forgot to tell Feaster his 13-year prison sentence included five years of mandatory "post-release control," or probation.

Feaster's case will now go back to the trial court for further proceedings.

During Tyree Feaster's 2010 trial, court officials were forced to offer a plea deal after the only two witnesses who agreed to testify in the gang-related shooting, never showed up, fearful for their lives. In gang lingo, it's called the no-snitching rule. And it's strictly followed. Tyree Feaster was originally charged with aggravated murder, but pleaded guilty to a lesser charge of involuntary manslaughter.

In exchange for Feaster's admission to the east side shooting at The Cage nightclub, he testified against several other V-Nots, a known gang in Akron, tied to the fatal shooting. Reportedly, the V-Nots were looking for trouble with other gang members that night, the Hilltoppers, who may have been hanging out at the club.

Lester, who was among a crowd of some 200 people that evening, got caught up in the gunfire. Two bullets lodged in her back and she died shortly after being taken to a local hospital.

Meanwhile, Akron police continue to look for a suspect in the fatal shooting of Garrick Feaster.

Print this article Back to Top