Charcoal grill ignites Russell Avenue home in Akron, does heavy damage

AKRON, Ohio - A fire that started with a grill on the front porch of a Russell Street home in Akron quickly spread all the way to the roof of the home.

Around 11 p.m. Thursday, Akron firefighters were called to a home on Russell Avenue for a charcoal grill fire. Once on scene, they found the fire had been mostly extinguished by the residents, but unbeknownst to the residents or firefighters the fire was rushing up the exterior wall behind the siding.

The fire did heavy damage to the front and side wall all the way to the roof, burning a large hole in the home.

No one was injured, but the people living in the home have to find another place to stay until repairs could be made.

Firefighters said that using a grill on the front porch of a home is always a dangerous and should always be done away from combustible areas.

Print this article Back to Top

Comments