Akron police: Two bank robbery suspects arrested, third person kills self

AKRON, Ohio - Akron police say one person is dead and two others have been arrested after a bank robbery.

It happened Wednesday morning at the FirstMerit Bank in the 800 block of Brittain Road in Akron.

Akron Police Lt. Rick Edwards said three shots were fired into the ceiling and two suspects jumped the counter during what police are calling "a bank takeover."

"Two suspects entered inside the bank, fired several shots into the ceiling, got money, dye packs, ran out of the bank itself," Edwards said. No one was injured.

Edwards said a witness got a description and license plate of the suspected getaway vehicle.

Police chased the suspects in a green Saturn to North Street underneath the All-America Bridge. The chase lasted less than one minute and ended in the Cascade Village neighborhood.

"Two of the suspects bailed out of the vehicle and one person stayed inside the car. We have two apprehensions and we also have a third male that appears to be an apparent suicide," Edwards said. The suspect's body was found in a small wooded area.

A spokesperson for The Summit County Medical Examiner's office said it appeared Anthony Ethridge, 20, shot himself in the head.

Neighbor Margie Mosley said she was lying in her bed when she heard the gunshot. "I just heard the cops, the sirens and everything and then I heard the cops talking and then I heard one gunshot. That was it. I was scared," Mosley said.

Authorities in Akron said the FirstMerit Bank on West Market Street was also targeted by a pair of robbers around 9:30 a.m. Wednesday.

"That actual robbery, they actually passed a note, got money, took off running out of the store "Edwards said. "No one was hurt, no gun was seen." At this point, police were not sure if the two bank robberies are related.

However, the FBI is looking to see if the suspects from the bank robbery on Brittain Road are connected to a couple of other bank robberies in Summit County that have happened within the past three or four months.  Shots were also fired in those hold-ups.

The money stolen from bank takeover this morning was recovered about a block away, Edwards said.

The names of the suspects arrested have not been released. They have not been charged, but are being held in the Summit County Jail.

Print this article Back to Top