Just two days after several Strongsville schools were closed, school officials found another threat of violence.
CLEVELAND - Average salaries among Ohio school teachers vary widely across the state and often fail to correspond to "excellent" rating achieved in yearly district "report" cards.
According to the most recent data obtained from the Ohio Department of Education, the average salary for Ohio teachers is $56,715.
Strongsville teachers earn an average salary of $66,558 per year, and the most recent state issued academic report card lists the district as Excellent with Distinction--the highest possible rating.
Teachers in the Solon School District earn an average yearly salary of $80,400 with an identical school report card ranking.
Yet, teachers in the Plain Local School District, near Canton, earn $53,373 yearly--despite achieving the Excellent with Distinction rating.
Here's a look at average salaries in large urban school districts and the district's school report card:
- Cleveland Metropolitan School District teachers: $65,518 -- Academic Emergency
- Akron City Schools: $59,653 -- Continuous Improvement
- Cincinnati Schools: $64,638 -- Continuous Improvement
- Dayton Schools: $52,324 -- Academic Watch
- Toledo Schools: $55,780 -- Academic Watch
- Columbus Schools: $67,167 -- Continuous Improvement
And here's a look at other suburban school districts across northeast Ohio:
- Cleveland Heights-University Heights: $69,602 -- Continuous Improvement
- Brunswick: $59,393 -- Excellent
- Medina: $70,988 -- Excellent
- Euclid: $64,981 -- Continuous Improvement
- Hudson: $72,901 -- Excellent
- Mentor: $66,760 -- Excellent with Distinction
- Twinsburg: $65,612 -- Excellent
- Westlake: $71,274 -- Excellent with Distinction
- Shaker Heights: $73,191 -- Effective
Teacher salaries in Ohio are dependent on a wide variety of factors, chief among them are property taxes.
All preschools, elementary schools and the high school were closed Monday in Strongsville after a bomb threat.
The principal of Chapman Elementary School in Strongsville is asking the community to be on the lookout for vandals who've been targeting the school and destroying property.
Families in Strongsville are hoping the fresh start of a new school year will remove the bitter taste from a teachers' strike that divided the community last spring.
The president of the Cleveland Teachers Union is suing the Strongsville City Schools Board of Education for information about teachers and subs who taught during the Strongsville teachers' strike.
Declining enrollment is cause for cutting teaching positions, according to Strongsville school officials.
A Strongsville High School Spanish teacher that crossed the picket line returned to work Tuesday to find many of her classroom belongings ruined.
Strongsville schools returned to normal Tuesday as teachers went back to their classrooms after the strike.
Strongsville teachers went back to school Monday afternoon after an eight-week strike that ended over the weekend.
The end to an eight-week-long teachers' strike in Strongsville brought about mixed emotions in the suburban-Cleveland community.