We have a warning a popular dehumidifier, after complaints it can catch fire.
Imagine if your dehumidifier caught fire in your laundry room or crawl space.
That is what happened, according to a YouTube video. Coupled with several other complaints, it has triggered a stop sale order of a dehumidifier that was top rated by Consumer Reports magazine just one year ago.
Models Affected by Alert
Consumer Reports is pulling its recommendation of these dehumidifiers, which were sold under the Soleus Air and Kenmore brand name.
The Soleus Air models were sold primarily at Lowe's, but also at other stores and online.
The Kenmore models were sold at Sears (though this involves only a small number of Sears units).
All were built in China between 2010 and 2012 by a company called Gree. Some are squared off at the corners, while some more rounded. The manufacturer has issued a "stop sale" order to all merchants, telling them to pull remaining stock .
To see specific model numbers, go to www.soleusair.com.
To see the YouTube video that sparked the investigation, click here.
What You Can Do
The Consumer Product Safety Commission (CPSC) told Consumer Reports it is investigating, which can be the precursor to a recall.
The magazine says if you have your receipt, you may be able to get a refund at Lowe's.
But there is no recall yet. So your best bet may be just unplugging it and waiting to see if there is a recall.
If you must use it, make sure you are nearby at all times, in case it were to overheat. Do not run it when you are sleeping or out of the house.
That way you stay safe and you don't waste your money.
Don't Waste Your Money is a registered trademark of the EW Scripps Co.
"Like" John Matarese on Facebook
Follow John on Twitter (@DWYM)