Christmas trees, candles, fireplaces, unattended stove: Holiday fire sources waiting to ignite
Mel Watson, newsnet5.com
9:56 AM, Nov 11, 2013
10:31 PM, Nov 11, 2013
CLEVELAND - The winter holiday season is fast approaching and along with the fun and festivities there are many fire hazards.
Cooking is, and has long been, the leading cause of house fires and injuries. Since 2006, fire departments across the United States responded to an average of 157,300 home structure fires ignited by cooking equipment.
Deep fried turkeys have become a popular item on the American dinner table. Although you're outdoors, using a propane deep fryer can be very dangerous.
As you deck the halls this holiday season, be fire smart. Candles are pretty. But remember, a candle is an open flame, which means it can easily ignite anything. On average, home candle fires are reported to fire departments around the country every 40 minutes.
A small fire that spreads to a Christmas tree can grow large very quickly. One of every three home Christmas tree fires are caused by electrical problems. A heat source too close to the tree causes roughly one in every six fires and it doesn't take long to ignite.
Heating equipment misuse or failure caused 57,000 blazes. Half of those home heating fires are reported during the months of December, January, and February. It's not too early to get ahead of the winter freeze.
Check out these ten tips to make sure your family is safe this winter.
Coming up Monday on NewsChannel5 at 11, we're on your side explaining techniques so you and your family can make a safe fire escape. It's all part of our 5 On Your Side Survival Guide reports, airing every night this week at 11 p.m.