5-year-old American Bulldog dies after Walgreens in North Canton issues wrong seizure medication

NORTH CANTON, Ohio - A five-year-old American bulldog passed away in North Canton Monday after a Walgreens Pharmacy store issued the dog's owner the wrong medication.

The dog, named Sky, was taking medication to control its seizures, however after Walgreens issued its owner, Kelly Woods, the wrong prescription the seizures worsened. 

After four days of taking the incorrect medication, Woods took Sky to the Stark County Veterinary Emergency Clinic where the dog died several hours later. 

Walgreens has admitted to making the mistake and has issued a statement in response to the incident.

"We're very sorry this occurred and we apologized to the pet's owner. Cases like this are rare and we take them very seriously. We have a multi-step prescription filling process with numerous safety checks in each step to reduce the chance of human error. We will investigate what happened and what can be done to prevent it from happening again."

 

"We also will assist the pet's owner by arranging to pay for the veterinary expenses."

Woods is now having an post-autopsy done by her primary veterinarian, Dr. Tripp in Massillon. 

Print this article Back to Top

Comments