CLEVELAND - This breakfast dish has it all. This casserole brings together some of Let's Dish chef Chris Koetke's favorite breakfast foods and flavors -- eggs, potatoes, sausage, and spice.
Recipe for Chorizo, Potato and Egg Casserole:
Prep time: 30 minutes
Cook time: 50 minutes
2 pounds Idaho potatoes, peeled, sliced ¼-inch thick
1 pound mild chorizo sausage, casing discarded
1 cup chopped yellow onion
1 - 4 ounce can chopped mild green chilies, drained
1 ½ teaspoons salt
¾ teaspoon ground black pepper
¾ cup prepared tomato salsa
4 oz. grated Cheddar cheese
10 large eggs
2 cups whole milk
Prepared salsa to serve with casserole
Warmed tortillas to serve with casserole
1. Place the potato slices in a large pot filled with salted water. Bring the water to a boil and cook the potatoes until just tender, approximately 8 minutes. Don't overcook or the slices will fall apart.
2. Drain the potatoes and reserve.
3. Arrange the potato slices in an oiled 9 x 13 baking dish.
4. In a large sauté pan, cook the chorizo over high heat until browned, about 5 minutes.
5. Stir in onions and cook until soft, an additional 5 minutes.
6. Drain off excess grease from the chorizo mixture. Spread evenly over potato layer.
7. Spoon green chilies and salsa over the potatoes. Sprinkle with grated cheese.
8. Wrap with plastic and store in the refrigerator overnight if to be served the following day. If not, continue with the recipe.
9. Preheat the oven to 350ºF.
10. Whisk together the eggs, salt, pepper, and milk in a large bowl. Pour egg mixture over the top of the casserole.
11. Bake uncovered for 50 minutes or until the eggs are set and lightly browned. Let rest five minutes before serving.
12. Serve with salsa and warm tortillas.
You can find more recipes likes this on the Live Well network .