In honor of National Donut Day, we share some fun facts about the sweet treats you probably didn't know. Find out where to get free doughnuts at http://5.wews.com/lNXPq
* In the U.S. alone, more than 10 billion donuts are made every year. Between 27 locations, Lamar's Donuts produces 17 million donuts per year.
* The US donut industry is worth 3.6 billion dollars.
* The largest donut ever made was an American-style jelly donut weighing 1.7 tons, which was 16 feet in diameter and 16 inches high in the center.
* Per capita, Canada has more donuts shops than any other country.
* The hole in the donut's center appeared in the first half of the 19th Century and allows the donut to cook more evenly.
* The Dutch are often credited with bringing donuts to the U.S. with their olykoeks, or oily cakes in the 1800s.
* Adolph Levitt invented the first donut machine in 1920.
* Ray's Original Glazed Donut only has 220 calories, while a bagel and cream cheese averages 450 calories.
* The Guinness World record for donut eating is held by John Haight, who consumed 29 donuts in just over 6 minutes.
The doughnut facts are courtesy of Lamar's Donuts in Kansas City, Mo.