CLEVELAND - Are you looking for a restaurant-quality appetizer for your next family dinner? Let's Dish host, Chris Koetke, shows you how to make these delicious Vietnamese Spring Rolls.
Vietnamese Spring Rolls have become all the rage across the country, but the best part is, they're inexpensive and really easy to make.
Recipe for Vietnamese Spring Rolls
Prep Time: 20 minutes
Cooking time: 25 minutes
Serves: 12 spring rolls
1 whole pork tenderloin seasoned with salt and pepper (or you can also use a pre-marinated
one with an Asian flavor profile that you can purchase in the butcher section of the grocery store)
12 oz. cooked whole shrimp, peeled and deveined
6 oz. rice vermicelli, cooked in boiling salted water for 4 minutes until al dente, drained and
chilled under cold running water)
12 round rice papers/wrappers
Additional ingredients to roll inside the spring rolls
· Fresh Thai basil (or basil) leaves
· Cilantro leaves
· Fresh mint leaves
· Pressed tofu
· Serrano or jalapeno chilies, sliced paper thin
· Leaf or butter lettuce
· Cucumber strips
· Daikon radish, cut into very thin strips
Spring roll dipping sauce (below)
1. Roast the pork tenderloin in a 400˚ F oven for about 25 minutes or until it registers 165˚ F with an instant read thermometer. Remove from oven and chill. Slice into very thin slices. Reserve.
2. Lay shrimp on cutting board and cut the shrimp in half so that there are 2 flat pieces of shrimp (basically, your knife will be parallel to the cutting board). Reserve.
3. To make the spring rolls, soak a sheet of rice wrapper in warm water until it is pliable. Remove from the water and place on a cutting board.
4. Place some shrimp and pork toward the center of the rice paper/wrapper. Top with fillings of your choice.
5. Roll up the spring roll by folding the part of the spring roll nearest to you to the center. Then fold in the sides. Finish by rolling up the spring roll tightly. Serve shortly after rolling and with dipping sauce.
Spring roll Dipping Sauce
¼ cup fish sauce
¼ cup water
2 Tablespoons lime juice
1 clove garlic, well minced
1 teaspoon fresh ginger, minced
2 ½ Tablespoons sugar
½ teaspoon siracha hot sauce
1. Combine all ingredients.
It's ready to serve with the dipping sauce, best part is, they're fun to make and oh so yummy. You can find more recipes likes this on the Live Well network .