Talk to one of the Cleveland Clinic cardiologists on our "Love Your Heart" phone bank or take part in a live web chat with doctors about heart health.
CLEVELAND - Make that special someone in your life the perfect Valentine's Day dinner. Chris Koetke, host of Let's Dish, shares his very special recipe for caramelized scallops and mushroom ragout.
Recipe for Valentine Scallops & Mushroom Ragout
Prep Time: 20 minutes (plus up to 24 hours marinating time)
Cooking time: 8-12 minutes
2 Tablespoons unsalted butter
2 Tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
¼ cup finely minced shallots
3 Tablespoons pale dry sherry
8 ounces crimini mushrooms, cut into ¼ inch slices
½ teaspoon kosher salt
¼ teaspoon black pepper
1 teaspoon chopped fresh thyme
7 ounces shitake mushrooms, stems discarded, cut into ¼ inch slices
4 ounces oyster mushrooms, gently pulled apart into smaller pieces (You can also use white button mushrooms if you cannot find them)
4 ounces portabella mushrooms, gently pulled apart into smaller pieces
¾ cup heavy cream
10 large dry packed sea scallops (12 -14 ounces), abductor muscles removed*, and seasoned with salt
1 Tablespoon finely chopped chives
*The abductor muscle is a small, hard muscle attached to the side of the muscle. To remove, simply pull off.
- Heat 1 Tablespoon butter and 1 Tablespoon olive oil in a large non-stick sauté pan over medium heat.
- Add shallots and sauté for 3 minutes.
- Add mushrooms and continue sautéing until they are softened and lightly browned.
- Add dry sherry and reduce sherry by half.
- Add heavy cream along with salt and pepper. Bring to a slow boil and cook for three minutes to reduce the cream. (This can be used shortly after preparation or chilled and reheated later.)
- In a separate sauté pan, heat remaining butter and olive oil over high heat until the butter starts to brown.
- Add scallops and sauté on each side for about 2-3 minutes. When done, they should be nicely browned on the outside and medium rare on the inside.
- Put mushroom ragout on the plate and top with scallops. Sprinkle with chives and serve.
Open a bottle of champagne, and you are ready for a romantic Valentine's Day. You can find more recipes like this. You can find more recipes like this on the Live Well Network .
Gas and electric companies are urging residents to avoid the use of helium-filled metallic balloons this Valentine's Day.
Before you give your loved one a dozen roses, make sure you know what each color means.
Thinking about what you can get your sweetie for Valentine's Day. Maybe a nice bottle of red wine, a little chocolate?
Seventeen cities take part in the postmark cancelation program, including Bliss, Aromas, Beauty, Loveland.
A couple spends their last Valentine's Day together as they prepare to say goodbye after 63 years of marriage.
Lovers, or would-be lovers, take note: Affairs of the heart can produce some pretty strong physical reactions.
The Bernardus Medieval Music Ensemble will be performing "The Eternal Flame: Visions of Love Throughout The Medieval World".
Valentine's Day freebies this year include free coffee, entree with kiss and spaghetti for one year if getting engaged.
Dating is hard enough. But when you throw in a few thousand online profiles, it's overwhelming. Dating coach, Joann Cohen says it's easy to avoid the duds, if you know the red flags.